Benefits of Vanilla Essential Oil
Used in aromatherapy:
- Has a sedative effect on the body, quietening the nervous system and lowering blood pressure. Induces tranquillity whilst uplifting the mood. Diminishes hyperactivity and restlessness. Relieves stress and anxiety, and reduces startle reflexes;
- Relieves tension to help promote a better night’s sleep, assisting with falling asleep easier and for longer. Affects the respiratory system in the brain, helping you to breathe easier whilst sleeping, and is a helpful aid for sleep apnea;
- Stimulates estrogen production, helping to regulate menstruation, and relieving symptoms of PMS such as cramps, bloating and fatigue, and mood swings;
- Boosts the immune system. Soothes inflammation in the body’s respiratory, circulatory, digestive, nervous, and excretory systems. Can help to reduce allergies, colds, flu, and other respiratory issues. Reduces fever;
- Alleviates the feeling of nausea;
- An aphrodisiac, known to enhance sexual arousal. Stimulates estrogen and testosterone hormones, and can help diminish erectile dysfunction, impotence, loss of libido and frigidity;
- Repels mosquitoes.
- Soothes inflamed or damaged skin. Treats blemishes, eases acne, eczema, burns, sunburn, and general inflammation. Reduces redness and itching. Promotes healing and recovery;
- Cleanses the skin, has antibacterial affects to deter breakouts;
- Brightens dull and tired skin;
- Delays and repairs signs of premature ageing, addressing fine lines, wrinkles and age spots, and rejuvenating the skin;
- Balances the scalp and stimulates circulation, and thus promotes hair growth. Softens dry, rough or coarse hair. Strengthens the hair, diminishing hair fall and loss, breakage and split ends. Leaves hair silky, shiny and smooth;
- Provides relief from cramps and muscle and joint pain. Helps relieve pain for conditions such as arthritis;
- Relieves pain and helps fight infection when applied to a wound.
Note: Essential oils are extremely potent and must always be diluted in a natural oil (such as almond, coconut, grape seed, jojoba oil) before application to the skin, scalp or hair). Ratio: 1 drop to 5ml oil.
Do not ingest.
Application of Vanilla Essential Oil
For aromatherapy: add a few drops to a diffuser or oil burner.
For sleep disorders: use a diffuser; add to water and spritz on the pillow and sheets; apply topically to the soles of the feet, wrists and temples; or add a few drops to a warm bath.
For treatment of wounds: topical application to the affected area.
For skin and hair care: apply topically. Or add a few drops to moisturiser, body lotion, shampoo, etc.
For massage: 3 drops in 15-20 ml of base oil
Basic Properties of Vanilla Essential Oil
antibacterial, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, aphrodisiac, antioxidant, antispasmodic, balsamic, febrifuge, relaxing, sedative, soothing, tranquilizing.
Extraction Method: Steam distillation
Parts Used: Pods
Aroma: Sweet, warm and comforting