Benefits of Rose Essential Oil
Used in aromatherapy:
- A powerful mood booster. Calms and soothes, boosts self-esteem, balances the emotions;
- Relieves stress, nerves and mental fatigue. Decreases the level of the stress hormone cortisol in the blood;
- Stimulates the release of a chemical called dopamine which is believed to be pivotal in reducing the symptoms of depression;
- Helps to balance the hormones, and alleviates symptoms of PMS and menopause such as mood swings, anxiety, night sweats, hot flushes, low libido and pain;
- A potent aid to reduce sexual dysfunctions including frigidity and erectile dysfunction due to many factors – has an invigorating scent, reduces anxiety, increases blood circulation, and balances sex hormones. Shown to significantly improve sexual function in women undergoing the menopause;
- Stimulates the brain to release endorphins which are also known as “feel-good” hormones, and can help with pain;
- Enhances blood circulation and increases the skin’s permeability, strengthens and stimulates skin cells, promotes collagen production and skin regeneration in the case of damaged or ageing skin. Helps with conditions such as eczema, rosacea, psoriasis, rashes and infections, rehydrates dry skin, clears acne, and reduces signs of ageing;
- A great cleanser and astringent to remove excess oil and dirt, clears blocked pores and tones the skin. Diminishes and protects against acne, balances sebum production and destroys the acne causing bacteria “propionibacterium acnes”;
- Heals skin afflictions such as cuts and scratches and accelerates wound healing;
- Remedies fungal infections;
- Reduces the appearance of scars and stretch marks due to its skin regenerating capabilities. Can also help to remove dark circles under the eyes, brightening the whole appearance;
- Relieves stiff and sore muscles and is an excellent aid for conditions such as rheumatism, arthritis and gout;
- Relieves menstrual pain, when massaged into the abdomen;
- Alleviates any scalp dryness or oiliness, as well as nourishing the hair from the follicle, and helping to unblock follicles which could otherwise result in hair fall or loss;
- Recommended to treat severe depression through massage rather than inhalation. Can also counteract postnatal depression.
- Adding a few drops to your pillow or sheets can enhance a relaxing night’s sleep by removing stress and anxiety and invoking calmness;
- Add a few drops to warm bath water as a particularly effective remedy for muscle cramps and headaches.
Note: Essential oils are extremely potent and must always be diluted in a natural oil (such as almond, coconut, grape seed, jojoba oil) before application to the skin, scalp or hair). Ratio: 1 drop to 5ml oil.
Do not ingest.
Application of Rose Essential Oil
For aromatherapy: add a few drops to a diffuser or oil burner.
For sleep disorders: use in a diffuser; add to water and spritz on the pillow and sheets; apply topically to the soles of the feet, wrists and temples; or add a few drops to a warm bath.
For the treatment of fungus: topical application to the affected area.
For treatment of wounds: topical application to the affected area.
For skin and hair care: apply topically. Or add a few drops to moisturiser, body lotion, shampoo, etc.
For massage: 3 drops in 15-20 ml of base oil
Basic Properties of Rose Essential Oil
Analgesic, anti-anxiety, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antidepressant, antifungal, antioxidant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, aphrodisiac, cicatrizant, depurative, emmenagogue, wound healing.
Extraction Method: Steam distillation
Parts Used: Blossoms
Aroma: Deep, sweetly floral and slightly spicy