Benefits of Patchouli Essential Oil
Used in aromatherapy:
- Eases stress, anxiety and fatigue by regulating serotonin. Induces feelings of calm and comfort;
- Grounds and balances the emotions, clearing the mind and allowing for increased focus and concentration;
- A natural remedy for insomnia;
- An aphrodisiac which stimulates hormones to increase libido, and remedies impotency and erectile dysfunction;
- Eases the symptoms of respiratory ailments including a cold or flu, asthma, bronchitis, sinus, and pharyngitis. Reduces inflammation, eliminates infections, clears mucus from the nasal passage and respiratory tract, reduces a fever, soothes a sore throat and counteracts any associated pain or discomfort;
- Provides relief from headaches;
- Acts as a tonic to tone the liver, stomach and intestines. Benefits the digestive system and increases metabolism.
- Promotes skin renewal and wound healing, in addition to having antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties to ease skin conditions such as acne, eczema, rashes, plus general inflammation, minor skin imperfections, and cracked or chapped skin;
- Increases cell regeneration to effectively counteract the signs of ageing and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Prevents early sagging of the skin;
- Heals minor skin afflictions such as cuts, scratches and bug bites, facilitates faster wound healing and disinfects wounds to prevent sepsis and infections such as tetanus;
- Remedies fungal infections;
- Reduces the appearance of scars and blemishes;
- Promotes circulation and is a remedy for cellulite and varicose veins;
- Relieves joint pain, stiff and sore muscles, muscle spasms and other arthritic and inflammatory conditions;
- A body massage can help to fight water retention;
- Repels insects including mosquitoes, ants, flies and fleas;
- A natural deodorant to eliminate body odours.
Note: Essential oils are extremely potent and must always be diluted in a natural oil (such as almond, coconut, grape seed, jojoba oil) before application to the skin, scalp or hair). Ratio: 1 drop to 5ml oil.
Do not ingest.
Application of Patchouli Essential Oil
For aromatherapy: add a few drops to a diffuser or oil burner.
For the treatment of fungus: topical application to the affected area.
For treatment of wounds: topical application to the affected area.
For skin and hair care: apply topically. Or add a few drops to moisturiser, body lotion, shampoo, etc.
For massage: 3 drops in 15-20 ml of base oil
Basic Properties of Patchouli Essential Oil
Analgesic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, antifungal, antioxidant, antiphlogistic, antiseptic, anxiolytic, aphrodisiac, astringent, cicatrisant, cytophylactic, deodorant, diuretic, febrifuge, fungicide, insecticide, neuro-protective, sedative, tonic, vasodilator.
Extraction Method: Steam distillation
Parts Used: Leaves
Aroma: Strong, sweet