Benefits of Iris Essential Oil
Used in aromatherapy:
- Uplifts the mood, installs a sense of calm and wellness. Relieves stress, anxiety, anger, anguish, annoyance and mental fatigue;
- Aids the respiratory system. Helps to loosen and disperse lung congestion, and thins mucus.
- Regulates the skin’s hydration levels and adds a protective film. Softens and plumps the skin;
- Stimulates, strengthens and revitalises the skin to leave it looking tighter and firmer, and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles;
- Treats blemishes, soothes acne, eczema, sunburn and general inflammation and promotes healing;
- Heals minor injuries such as cuts, scratches, and bug bites and protects against infection;
- Eliminates tired and dull looking skin to brighten the complexion;
- A strong topical painkiller – effectively numbs the skin.
- Oral care: Reduces gum pain. Helps to eliminate bacteria to prevent infection and treats bad breath. Add a few drops to toothpaste or to water to use as a mouthwash (do not swallow). Apply topically (diluted) to relieve gumboils, ulcers, cuts and general pain.
Note: Essential oils are extremely potent and must always be diluted in a natural oil (such as almond, coconut, grape seed, jojoba oil) before application to the skin, scalp or hair). Ratio: 1 drop to 5ml oil.
Do not ingest.
Application of Iris Essential Oil
For aromatherapy: add a few drops to a diffuser or oil burner.
For sleep disorders: use in a diffuser; add to water and spritz on the pillow and sheets; apply topically to the soles of the feet, wrists and temples, or add a few drops to a warm bath;
For the treatment of fungus: topical application to the affected area.
For treatment of wounds: topical application to the affected area.
For skin and hair care: apply topically. Or add a few drops to moisturiser, body lotion, shampoo, etc.
For massage: 3 drops in 15-20 ml of base oil
Basic Properties of Iris Essential Oil
Analgesic, antibacterial, anticholinesterase, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, astringent, calming, decongestant, diuretic, emollient, mucolytic.
Extraction Method: Steam distillation
Parts Used: Roots
Aroma: Sweet, green, earthy, and floral – violet-like.